Nadal tested positive for COVID-19 after the Abu Dhabi event | Tennis News
Rafael Nadal said on Monday he tested positive for COVID-19 when he arrived in Spain after returning from injury at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship exhibition in Abu Dhabi last week.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion said he was having “unpleasant moments” but hoped to feel better soon and would keep people informed of his plans for future tournaments.
“I wanted to announce that when I returned home after playing the Abu Dhabi tournament, I tested positive for COVID in the PCR test that was performed on me when I arrived in Spain,” Nadal wrote on Twitter.
The 35-year-old said he tested negative at all times while in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi, and last tested negative on Friday last week.
The Spaniard’s return from injury in the exhibition event – his first tournament appearance since the Citi Open in Washington in August – ended in two narrow losses to Andy Murray and Denis Shapovalov.
“I am going through some unpleasant times but I hope that I will improve little by little. I am now confined to the house and I have reported the result to those who have been in contact with me,” he wrote. .
“Due to the situation, I must have total flexibility with my schedule and I will analyze my options according to my progress. I will keep you informed of any decision regarding my future tournaments,” he added.
Nadal spent four months on the sidelines with a foot injury. He was eliminated at Roland Garros in the semifinals and was forced to withdraw from Wimbledon, the Tokyo Olympics and the US Open.
He had said he could not guarantee he would make the trip to the Australian Open which starts on January 17.
Comments are closed.