Tennis star Dominic Thiem says he doesn’t need wrist surgery, ruling him out for the rest of the season
World number eight Dominic Thiem has said he will not need surgery on a wrist injury that has ruled him out for the remainder of the season. Thiem was injured in June at the Mallorca Open and had to skip Wimbledon and was unable to defend his title at the US Open last month.
Dominic Thiem in action (Image courtesy of Reuters)
- Dominic Thiem says he doesn’t need surgery on injured wrist
- My wrist is really stable and it looks good, says Dominic Thiem
- Dominic Thiem was injured in June at the Mallorca Open
World number eight Dominic Thiem has said he will not need surgery on a wrist injury that has kept him from playing for the remainder of the season.
The Austrian was injured in June at the Mallorca Open, forcing him to miss Wimbledon and denying him the chance to defend his title at the US Open. He will also not be able to defend his ATP Masters 1000 title at Indian Wells, which he won in 2019.
“I was in Belgium to decide whether I needed a wrist operation or not and luckily I have very, very good news. I won’t need an operation,” said the player. 28-year-old in a video on Twitter.
Good news! pic.twitter.com/pKyHjSdtwE
– Dominic Thiem (@ThiemDomi) October 4, 2021
“It’s really stable and looks good, my wrist. Next week I need to make it more flexible and strengthen my wrist, do everything to prepare myself to slowly start playing tennis again.”
“I’m really looking forward to it. It’s been quite a long time without a racquet and honestly, I miss it.”
Thiem’s best result this season has been reaching the semi-finals of the Madrid Open.
Thiem won his first major title last year at Flushing Meadows, defeating Alexander Zverev as the first player to come in straight sets in the US Open final since Pancho Gonzales in 1949.
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.