World No.1 tennis star Ash Barty dismissed from home quarantine trial despite 68 negative COVID-19 tests
Ash Barty is quietly preparing his best preparation for the Australian Open after coming out of a difficult two weeks of quarantine.
The world No. 1 will decide in the next fortnight whether or not to defend her end-of-season championship crown, won in 2019 in China before last year’s event is canceled due to the global pandemic.
But with Aussie players already at a disadvantage if they choose to spend more time at home before their international rivals are welcomed into a biosecurity bubble ahead of Open 2022, Barty is highly unlikely to make the WTA Finals. rescheduled and moved next month to Mexico.
To do this, the Wimbledon champion is expected to undergo a second fortnight of quarantine upon her return to Australia in mid-November, plunging her traditional preseason into chaos.
“Obviously, having the right lead (Australian Open) is ideal. Being able to get a preseason is huge, ”Barty’s coach Craig Tyzzer told AAP.
“So obviously the more time we have to work on the things we need to work on and progress in this sport will give us the best opportunity for the summer for sure.”
Barty is understood to have requested a home quarantine period but was refused, despite returning some 70 negative COVID-19 tests throughout the year.
Tyzzer said it was “rude” to have to endure such a long quarantine stay in a hotel.
“For returning travelers, if you’re an Australian abroad, they don’t make it easy,” he said.
“You can’t get flights, it’s ridiculously expensive and you have to do a two-week quarantine in a hotel where you can’t open the windows.”
The coach revealed that he and his star had both been tested 68 times before Barty traveled to the UK for a short vacation last month.
“You are tested for essentially the same amounts in tournaments, players and their teams,” Tyzzer said.
“So we were at 68 when Ash left for London and I to go home to Australia.
“It’s part of what we’ve had to put up with this year. It’s not a lot of fun.
“You know that at least everyone around you and in the tournaments is safe and COVID-free, which certainly keeps you running.
“But to come back and do a few more weeks (in quarantine) after two tests and find out that you’re negative, that’s kinda ridiculous.”
The secret plan of tennis stars
But while Barty and all of his compatriots who choose to spend an extended period in Australia must quarantine themselves ahead of their home grand slam, their rivals will not.
“I know the players won’t come out if they need to be quarantined,” Tyzzer said.
“There are already quite a few we spoke to who said if it was like last year, they won’t come.
“And I don’t think Tennis Australia has it in mind, either, to operate that way.
“They’re going to be in a bubble, depending on what we’ve heard and what they’ve said they’re going to do.”
While tournament director Craig Tiley is still engaged in delicate negotiations with the Victorian government just over three months away from the Australian Open’s scheduled start date of January 17, all tournaments are expected to be preparatory sessions will take place again at Melbourne Park as this year.