Andy Murray makes late decision to play Rotterdam Open | Tennis News
Andy Murray lost to Japanese Taro Daniel in Australian Open second round; Scot has yet to name a permanent successor to manager Jamie Delgado and appears to have completed his trial period with Jan de Witt; Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer will team up at the Laver Cup in London in September
Last update: 02/03/22 5:09 p.m.
Andy Murray made the late decision to play the Rotterdam Open next week in what will be his first appearance since a second-round loss at the Australian Open, while Roger Federer spoke about his future.
Murray lost in straight sets to Japan’s Taro Daniel in Melbourne after defeating Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvili in five sets in the first round of the first Grand Slam of the year.
The Scot is also set to take part in the Qatar Open in Doha, followed by the Dubai Tennis Championships in the United Arab Emirates later this month.
Murray, who finished second in the Sydney Tennis Classic ahead of the Australian Open, has reportedly ended his trial period with coach Jan de Witt.
The 34-year-old added De Witt, former coach of France’s Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils, to his squad after parting ways with longtime manager Jamie Delgado at the end of 2021.
Speaking in December, Murray – who is now ranked 102nd in the world – said he would not be rushing to name a permanent successor to Delgado.
“The decision is important to me,” he said. “Obviously I don’t know how much longer I’m going to play, so I want to make sure that the person who accompanies me during the last period of my career is the right one.”
Murray also tested Johanna Konta’s former coach Esteban Carril at the Stockholm Open late last year.
Federer: Important months ahead of me
Roger Federer, who underwent two knee surgeries in 2020, said he still had the drive and motivation to make a successful comeback.
The 40-year-old has only played 13 games in 2021 and slipped to 30th in the table.
“I want to come back strong and give it my all,” said 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer.
“To give you a little update. I have a few very interesting and important months ahead of me. I think I will know a lot more by April-May.
“The drive is still there. I’m motivated to do my job.
“I’m back in the gym tomorrow. I’m working as hard as I can, so it’s still good times even if it’s a bit slow.
“I would like to do a lot more, but the doctors and everyone are holding me back a bit.”
Federer and Nadal will team up in the Laver Cup
Australian Open champion Rafael Nadal will team up with Federer in September at the Laver Cup at London’s O2 Arena.
Nadal and Federer – who previously teamed up in doubles at the inaugural Laver Cup in Prague in 2017 – will be part of a European squad led by Bjorn Borg to take on Team World.
Nadal eclipsed Federer and Novak Djokovic’s tally of 20 Grand Slam titles when he beat Daniil Medvedev in Melbourne last Sunday after coming back after two sets.
Nadal said: “The Laver Cup is such a unique event and I loved taking part in it. I suggested to Roger that we should play doubles together in London and he seems enthusiastic, so now we just have to persuade our captain Bjorn !
“Roger has been a big part of my career, a great rival and also a real friend. Being part of the European team together is great and if we can possibly share the court once again as a doubles couple, then it would be a really special experience for both of us at this stage of our careers.”
Federer, who is currently recovering from knee surgery, said: “I’m really looking forward to getting back to competition later this year and the Laver Cup is an integral part of my plan.
“Rafa is an amazing person and an inspiration to me and countless others around the world. He messaged me on social media after the Laver Cup in Boston last year suggesting we play in double in London and I’m definitely up for a Laver Cup ‘Fedal’ come back!”
Nadal: 21 Grand Slams may not be enough in all-time race
Rafael Nadal says he finds it hard to express satisfaction after winning Australian Open
Nadal also believes he will have to add to his 21 Grand Slams to end his career with more than Federer and Djokovic.
“I have no idea how many Grand Slams I will have,” Nadal told reporters at his academy in Mallorca. “I want to be the one with the most majors out of the three of us, I would love that.
“But I’m not obsessed, absolutely not. Anything that comes is welcome. I don’t think 21 is enough, to be honest, but you never know what will happen in the future.”
Djokovic describes Australian visa ordeal as ‘unfortunate’
Novak Djokovic described his detention and deportation from Australia which prevented him from defending his Australian Open title an “unfortunate event” and thanked the Serbian president for his support.
The top-ranked tennis star met with Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic on Thursday and called the events in Australia “unexpected, to say the least.”
“I wanted to meet you today because, mainly as a citizen of Serbia, I felt a great need to thank you for the great support you, as President of Serbia, gave me, as well as all state institutions during the unfortunate events in Australia,” Djokovic said.
“Although I was alone in detention and faced with many problems and challenges, I did not feel alone. I had huge support mainly from my family, from all the people close to my life, from the whole Serbian nation , many people with good intentions from the region and the world.
Don’t forget to follow us on skysports.com/tennis, our Twitter account @skysportstennis & Sky Sports – on the go! Available for download now on – iPhone & iPad and Android